Happy Meatless Monday! This week, the Whole Foods near our house ran a sale on Gardein products. We tried the new Gardein Mandarin Orange Crispy Chick’n and we added our own little twist. It was amazing and we hope you feel the same. No meat, completely vegan and full of protein…
Serves 4 – 6
1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
1/4 cup olive oil
2 large carrots
2 stalks of celery
1 large red bell pepper
1/2 large green bell pepper
3/4 cups of pea pods
4 cups of cooked rice (brown preferably)
One bag of Gardein Mandarin Orange Crispy Chick’n
Gardein package of mandarin sauce (included with Chick’n)
Optional: Crushed red pepper and chili powder
- Chop onion, carrots, bell peppers, celery.
- Heat sesame oil and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat (use wok if you own one). Add onion and saute until soft, then add crispy chick’n and stir-fry for 4 minutes.
- Stir in carrots, celery, red bell pepper, pea pods and green bell pepper and stir-fry another 4 minutes. Then add cooked rice and stir thoroughly.
- Finally, stir in mandarin sauce, heat through and serve hot.
- For a little extra kick, feel free to add crushed red pepper and chili powder
Enjoy this on a meatless monday, promise you, a meat eater will not know the difference, but the environment sure will. If this Monday you are not feeling in the mood for cooking, Chicago has several vegan, vegetarian or vegan/vegetarian friendly restaurants.
Check out other vegan and vegetarian recipes on Mind Yourself Chicago